Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Magician King by Lev Grossman

In honor of the season I will be reposting reviews currently put up on Goodreads. Happy October!!
 
Title: The Magician King
Author: Lev Grossman
Type: Adult Fiction
Genre: Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Tea: Jasmin Dragon Phoenix Pearl with Lavender Dreams, taking the new twist to a whole other level.
Rating: 5 out of 5.
 
Previously posted on Goodreads on August 19, 2011.
 
  Mischief managed.

Lev Grossman, I love you. There were so many little nuances and references in this book that I appreciated, I would wind up writing my own novel if I wrote about them here. A few highlights here: n00b, Watership Down, Fillory Child Protective Services, oh and the fact that vampires are on the bottom of the food chain and are probably assholes. I love vampires as much as the next person, probably more since I've loved them longer than this "fad", but in a world of books solely about smoldering, sexy vampires, this was great. Okay, I digress.

This novel brings us back to Fillory and shows what the Kings and Queens have been doing, living the life: eating, drinking and living in splendor. Can I go to Fillory? Please? But Quentin knows he's meant for more and he finds it, starting with a frightening clocktree. I love all the new places Quentin goes to and the new characters brought into the world. Little Eleanor, I love her, I'd like her to draw me a passport. She's adorable.

Learning about Julia's life and what happened to her was truly fascinating. The contrast was more than just learning magic the "proper" way; clean, straight forward and shiny vs. the "rogue" way; dirty, confusing and messy. It was like seeing the person that doesn't go away to college. They're at home, unsure what they're doing and kinda pissed that all their friends appear to be having a blast away at school. Then maybe you fall into the wrong crowd, or seemingly the wrong crowd. They're a little bit off, but you're learning things. There were times where she truly pissed me off, but times where I just wanted to hug her. That's a mark of a good character, I think.

I loved bringing back the old characters and seeing where they've been and what they've been doing with their lives. I also loved Abigail the Sloth. I want a sloth.

Now, a personal message to Mr. Grossman: Please, write another novel. I love these books. I love the world, the adventures and I need to know what happens next! Plus, I love your writing. You're capable of making me laugh out loud and feel incredibly sad within the span of a page. Please do this more. :)

I can't wait to see what, hopefully, comes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment