Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh

Title: The Moon Sisters
Author: Therese Walsh
Type: Adult Fiction
Genre: Magical Realism/General Fiction
Tea: Bigelow Cinnamon Stick tea: a homey, heartfelt tea with a zing.
Rating: 4 out of 5


*Warning! Here be spoilers!*


I was first introduced to Therese Walsh when I picked up her first novel, The Last Will of Moira Leahy, at the library and fell in love. I remember being at my friend's house, watching a movie and just wanting to leave so I could read more of the book! So when I found out she was writing another book, I couldn't wait. And The Moon Sisters did not disappoint.

This is a novel that intrigued me in many ways. The sibling relationship always interests me. I have a half brother, but we didn't grow up together and we're just starting to get closer now, me in my 20's and him in his 30's. I was always watching my friends' dynamics with their siblings and it interests me to read about it as well. Every relationship is so different and you always wonder how it got to be what it was. In this novel, you can see exactly why Jazz and Olivia are the way they are.

I really enjoyed their stories as well as their mom's. She was a very interesting character, but sometimes it was difficult for me to read her as it could hit very close to home. Having gone through a period of depression myself, seeing her go through her ups and downs brought back those memories and would occasionally force me to put the book down. It's a mark of a good author that can truly make you feel and relate to a character.

Jazz and Olivia were very well developed and unique in the fact that you didn't necessarily have a favorite, sometimes they made you mad beyond belief, but you still rooted for them. They've been through so much in their lives and all I wanted was for them to come to a sense of conclusion about their mother's death.

Hobbs, for me, was a mixed bag. I get why he was in there and how he affected Olivia, but his story felt a little out of place to me (which is why this is getting a 4 instead of 5). Instead of feeling like an integral part to the story it just felt like we would switch from one story to another. I would start to get wrapped up in one (the mystery of Hobbs and the coins) and then be jolted back into Olivia's will-o-the-wisp mystery. I did like the ending for Hobbs though, he found his real family and his dirt bag of a "father" got what he deserved.

One other thing I really do wish we got to see is the letter that Beth, Jazz and Olivia's mom, left when she died. I understand why it was ended the way it was, with the family deciding, yes, it was an accident. They know she loves them and always will. I still wish I could read that letter!

Overall this novel had interesting characters, an intriguing plot, great family dynamics (even if not in the way you'd expect) and fun folklore. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment