Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Friday, December 6, 2013

Mary, Bloody Mary (Young Royals #1) by Carolyn Meyer

Title: Mary, Bloody Mary
Author: Carolyn Meyer
Type: Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Tea: Himalayan Splendor: a simple, traditional black tea, but has quite a backstory.
Rating: 4 out of 5.


I really enjoyed this book. I've always been interested in the Tudors. From learning about them in school, to watching the show with Johnathan Rhys Meyers, to visiting London and so on and so forth. I knew the story of Mary Tudor, but was curious to see this Young Adult take on her life. I was not disappointed by Mary, Bloody Mary.

Ms. Meyer, it turns out, wrote another one of my favorite series, The Royal Diaries series (like the Dear America books, but with royals). Once I found that out I just knew I had to start the Young Royals series. And the first novel had me hooked. I read it in one sitting.

Everyone knows the story of Henry VIII and his six wives. You hear mostly about Anne Boleyn and what happened to Queen Catherine in the aftermath, but what about his daughter, Mary?

This book is great, as it is straightforward and doesn't confuse the reader. You get all the facts without being bogged down and trying to figure out who is who and what is going on. Ms. Meyer successfully made me feel like I was Mary. There were points where my teeth would be on edge and I would be genuinely upset, like I was there.

Seeing how this poor girl was treated and seeing the madness of her father explains how she acted later in life when she was Queen. Yes, she said she would never do what her father did, but after being treated the way she was, is it such a surprise that she broke? It would be enough to drive anyone insane.

I'm also interested to read Ms. Meyer's books involving characters from this novel, such as Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth (Mary's half sister) and Queen Catherine. I'm curious to see how she writes them from their points of view and how they viewed Mary.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but it is especially great for young adults, as it will catch their attention and have them wanting to learn more. I also appreciated the historical note at the end, informing the reader of what the rest of the main characters' lives were like.

I think after this book I'll be on a Tudors/royals kick for awhile. Be prepared! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment