Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier

Title: The Lost Sisterhood
Author: Anne Fortier
Type: Adult Fiction
Genre: Historical/Adventure/Mystery
Tea: Golden Dragon from Teavana, delicious and unique with a fascinating background.
Rating: 4 out of 5

When I found out that Anne Fortier was writing a new novel I knew I had to have my hands on it. I absolutely loved Juliet by her and couldn't wait for The Lost Sisterhood. I was lucky enough to be granted an advanced copy by NetGalley and couldn't get to reading it fast enough.

This book interested me on so many levels. Being an anthropology and religious studies double major different cultures and their beliefs are some of my biggest interests. I also love hearing theories on things that no one knows about the past (Amazons, Troy, etc.). Ms. Fortier does a great job bringing these historical questions to life.

I loved the parallel between the past and the present. We would hear Myrina's story and then hear Diana's, which was taking place exactly where Myrina's did. It's so great to think of all the history that's happened everywhere all over the world and that you can be in the same place, where so many amazing things happened.

I never read much about the Amazons, so this really intrigued me. I loved Ms. Fortier's take on their existence and how they might still be active today. I am definitely going to look up that texts she recommended at the end of the novel.

Diana (the main character in the present day) slightly reminded me of the character of Diana from Deborah Harkness's All Souls Trilogy. She's a professor at Oxford and stumbles upon a mystery. At first I had a hard time separating the two, but once Diana was out in the field it was completely it's own story.

The only reason this is getting a 4 out of 5 instead of a 5 out of 5 is because I had a little trouble keeping track of the major players after the Amazon Hoard. I know who they are, but I kept getting a little confused as to who was on what side and how things kept changing. At the end it was cleared up, but at times in the middle of the novel I had a hard time keeping it clear.

Overall, I highly recommend this novel. It's a lot of fun and makes you want to learn more about the fascinating Amazons.

No comments:

Post a Comment