Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1) by Lemony Snicket


Title: The Bad Beginning
Author: Lemony Snicket
Type: Children's
Genre: Historical/Gothic
Tea: Lipton bag, black tea.
Rating: 1 out of 5 stars.

So, sorry to start off my new posts with a negative review, but this is my most recently finished novel and have some things to say. Also, I want to preface, no offense to Lipton, but bagged black tea just doesn't hold up to loose leaf Golden Monkey.

Okay, so I really don't get the hype of these novels. I was super excited to finally read these and grabbed it off the children's shelf a work, probably breaking some child's heart. Little do they know I probably saved them from a book that isn't all it's cracked up to be. Yes, I get that life isn't perfect and everyone goes through difficult times, but WHAT is the point of these novels?

I know the author states these books will be sad and depressing, but what these children go through within the first 60 pages is pretty much child abuse. How people are raving that these books are so fantastic is beyond me. And I'm assuming it only gets worse (I quit reading after 80 pages), as it was pretty obvious that Count Olaf was going to trick Violet into marrying him. Creepy.

And it's more than the horrible things that happen. The writing irked me, especially the constant definitions. I know these are children's books and it's helping to "teach" them words. But I think even as a child I would've gotten sick of it. It ruined the flow of the novel and seemed very out of place.

I'm disappointed that I didn't like these as much as I thought I would, but that's okay, I have a towering TBR pile waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment